So, you’ve decided you want to create a free website NZ, but you are not sure where to begin. You are wondering whether building a free website is easy. With the availability of several different website builders, building a website is pretty straightforward.
However, the question you should be asking yourself is whether you want to build a free website or a cheap, affordable website for your business.
A free website builder comes with some limitations that you may not be fond of, especially if you are building a website for your NZ business.
The first issue is the domain, which is never free. What you will get instead is a free subdomain with the site builder’s name in it.
Second, the free website will feature ads, some explicitly visible and some not so.
In short, your free website will not have the visual appeal and the essential features that you need to create the right first impression on your visitors.
If you are still looking to create a free website in NZ, here are the steps to take.
Step 1 – Choose a Website Builder
The biggest hurdle is finding the right website builder to build your free website on. As you may already know, several site builders are offering free plans where you can build your website.
What’s more, you won’t even have to worry about hosting your website as most of these site builders are hosted in the cloud. This also means that no matter where you are in New Zealand, you can build your free website easily. All you need is a computer and an internet browser.
Let’s take a look at some of the top free website builders.
- Wix – Wix is the biggest website builder. Its biggest draw is the stunning array of features that Wix offers for free. You get access to almost everything – appointment booking systems, photo galleries, email marketing and more. However, with the free plan, you have to make do with the sticky ad that shows up even as you scroll down. Not to mention the lengthy URL, which isn’t easy to remember.
- Weebly – Weebly is another option. But then again, you get a website with a very visible and sticky ad on the page that expands when visitors hover over it. Weebly is a good website builder for its ease of use and the simple drag and drop website builder. The design options are limited but you can also add some features to your site.
- Webnode – The biggest reason to choose Webnode is that the ads are not that visible. The ad is only visible when you scroll down to the bottom of the page. It blends so well with the design that you may hardly notice it, at least at a glance. Webnode allows you to build as many pages as you like. No limits whatsoever. And there’s a good variety of mobile-friendly templates. If you would like to connect your own+- domain name, you can do so by upgrading to their Limited plan, which is the cheapest plan the service offers.
- UCraft – This is a good option if you already have a domain name and want to use it with your free website without upgrading to a paid plan. However, there’s a downside – you can only create one page with the free plan. Moreover, the website builder is not as easy to use when compared to other website builders. On the flip side, the ad is very subtle and does not take away the limelight from your brand or message.
These are some excellent free website builders but as you can see, they are not really free. If you want to connect your domain name, need access to all features or in some cases add additional pages to your website, you will have to upgrade to the paid plans.
Step 2 – Choose Your Domain Name
Once you have decided which website builder is right for you, it’s time to choose a domain name for your business website. When it comes to a business website, there’s no scope for a subdomain as it looks unprofessional. When you want to build credibility and earn the trust of your prospects, you need a domain name.
Step 3 – Sign Up with the Site Builder
The next step is to sign up with the website builder of your choice and set up your website. Here are the steps to take:
- Sign up using your email address. Some site builders allow you to sign up using your social network account.
- Pick a template. Explore the templates by categories and choose one that you feel suits your business and goals best.
- Customise your site. Head over to the dashboard and look for the customisation tools to create your website. Explore the available options before you move on to the next step.
- Design your business website. It’s time to build your website and set it all up. Upload the content including text, videos and images. Create as many pages as needed. This step can take a lot of time – from a few hours to even weeks depending on the time at hand, your skills and the kind of design that makes you happy.
- Choose your plan. Look for a plan that covers your website building requirements.
- Connect your domain name. If you already have a domain name, it’s time to connect it to your website builder. If you don’t already have a domain name, you can pick one right from your site builder.
- Publish your website. Your website is ready to go live.
Is a Free Website Really Free?
Now that we have looked at the important steps of building a free website, it’s time to consider the real cost of a free website. As we have already seen above, a free website offers limited scope and comes with a lot of caveats, which are not favourable for a business website.
Eventually, you will have to upgrade to a paid plan. A better option is to hire a web design agency in Auckland to build a professional website at affordable prices. You will not only end up saving your time but you will get a customised website that’s tailored for your business and needs. Contact Numero today for a free quote.